HISTORY @stmarywarsash

An illustrated booklet ‘The Parish Church – A Short History’ by Wyn Newbury is available at the back of St.Mary’s for 50p.
On 20th May 1869, Arthur Hornby who lived in Hook House, wrote to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners seeking to give 5 acres of land for the building of a church, burial ground and parsonage.
A deed conveying 7 acres was registered on 18th July 1870 and the foundation stone was laid on 16th August 1870.  The new church was consecrated on 16th August 1871 as the Consolidated Chapelry of St.Mary, Hook with Warsash.  The parsonage was then built next to the church.  The population of the new church district was put at 920 (700 taken from Sarisbury and 220 from Titchfield).
The new parish was gazetted in the London gazette on 22nd March 1872 with it’s boundaries fixed.
At a vestry meeting in May 1890 a discussion took place with regard to the want of warmth in the church.  An iron cased furnace was installed in August 1890 in the underfloor chamber.  The modern gas heating system was installed in March 1994.
In 1885 the very imperfect oil lamp lighting system was discussed.  Lighting changed four times before the current fittings were made and installed by Greg Gower in 1996.
In 1934 a new organ was bought for £50 from the ballroom of Warsash House.  A set of 5 tubular bells were installed in 1939.
In 1944 the stained glass windows were lost as a result of a Doodle Bug bomb landing nearby.  The War Damage Commission replaced the sanctuary windows in 1950.
A Vestry was added to the west end of the church in 1970.
Hanging in the south aisle is a model of a ship, built by Peter Clissold in 1975.  It is of HMS Hotspur, the largest ship built in Warsash in 1807.  A 38 gun frigate which served in the Napoleonic war.
A new Church Hall was built in 2000 by local builders FE Chase & Son.
A new Vicarage was built at the same time close to the site of the original vicarage which was demolished in 1973.  A temporary vicarage was located on Osborne Road for 40 years!

FROM 2000AD…
A new Church Hall was built in 2000 by local builders FE Chase & Son.
A new Vicarage was built at the same time close to the site of the original vicarage which was demolished in 1973.  A temporary vicarage was located on Osborne Road for 40 years!
A ‘Millennium Carving’ of the village by Ian Brennan was unveiled in September 2003.  This can be seen in Church above the clergy vestry door.
2006 saw major works to reorder the inside of the church by FE Chase & Son.  The raised Russian Larch floor throughout the church was taken up, restored and relaid at the same level as the tiled aisles.  The back of the Font was restored with a new stone plinth.  112 chairs were purchased and the church was reopened on 21st May 2006 to encourage the life of today’s congregation.
2011 – Installation of Solar Panels on the Church Hall Roof.
2013 – Installation of a new sound system under the Imagine Project.

WHO SERVED HERE…
Vicars
1871-1884   John Gaman
1884-1890   Henry Wilkins
1890-1897   Ralph Nevill
1897-1900   Archdall Hill
1900-1918   Charles Lloyd
1918-1941   Thomas Holt
1941-1947   Patrick Scott
1947-1955   William Drake
1955-1988   John Weber
1989-1998   Trevor Reader
1999-2013   Andrew Norris
2014-           Michael and Nicky-Sue Terry

Assistant Curates
1990-1994   Anne Boggust
1995-2001   Jenny Lowater
2004-2005   Steven Morgan
2009-2012   Philippa Mills
2013- 2014  Michael & Nicky-Sue Terry

Readers
1995-2006    Neville Hall
1997-2013    David Edmonds
1999-            June Ward
2000-2010    Peter Simpson
2008-            Eva Upward

What's On

Jul
18
Thu
2019
1:30 pm Stay and Play @ Church Hall
Stay and Play @ Church Hall
Jul 18 @ 1:30 pm – 3:00 pm
 
6:00 pm Warsash Band Rehearsal @ Church
Warsash Band Rehearsal @ Church
Jul 18 @ 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm
 
7:00 pm 150th Meeting @ hall lounge
150th Meeting @ hall lounge
Jul 18 @ 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
 
Jul
21
Sun
2019
all-day Trinity 5
Trinity 5
Jul 21 all-day
 
8:00 am Holy Communion (BCP) @ Church
Holy Communion (BCP) @ Church
Jul 21 @ 8:00 am – 9:00 am
 
10:00 am Creative Communion
Creative Communion
Jul 21 @ 10:00 am – 11:30 am
 
6:30 pm Taize Worship @ Church
Taize Worship @ Church
Jul 21 @ 6:30 pm – 7:45 pm
 
Jul
23
Tue
2019
9:00 am Morning Prayer @ Church
Morning Prayer @ Church
Jul 23 @ 9:00 am – 9:30 am
 
10:00 am Coffee Pot @ Church Hall Lounge
Coffee Pot @ Church Hall Lounge
Jul 23 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
 
1:00 pm Worship Survey @ hall lounge
Worship Survey @ hall lounge
Jul 23 @ 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
 
Jul
25
Thu
2019
11:00 am Communion (BCP) @ Church
Communion (BCP) @ Church
Jul 25 @ 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
 
6:30 pm Wedding Rehearsal @ Church
Wedding Rehearsal @ Church
Jul 25 @ 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm
 
Jul
26
Fri
2019
1:30 pm Wedding @ Church
Wedding @ Church
Jul 26 @ 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm
 
6:30 pm Choir Practice @ Church
Choir Practice @ Church
Jul 26 @ 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm
 
Jul
28
Sun
2019
all-day Trinity 6
Trinity 6
Jul 28 all-day
 
8:00 am Holy Communion (BCP) @ Church
Holy Communion (BCP) @ Church
Jul 28 @ 8:00 am – 9:00 am
 
10:00 am Sung Communion @ Church
Sung Communion @ Church
Jul 28 @ 10:00 am – 11:30 am
 
6:30 pm Evensong ( BCP ) @ Church
Evensong ( BCP ) @ Church
Jul 28 @ 6:30 pm – 7:45 pm
 
Jul
29
Mon
2019
10:45 am Peter Gould Recital @ Church
Peter Gould Recital @ Church
Jul 29 @ 10:45 am – 11:00 am
Peter Gould, formerly organist at Derby Cathedral will give a short recital at St Mary’s Church on Monday 29th July at 10.45 as part of his pilgrimage round the Diocese. The short 15 minute recital[...]
Jul
30
Tue
2019
9:00 am Morning Prayer @ Church
Morning Prayer @ Church
Jul 30 @ 9:00 am – 9:30 am
 
10:00 am Coffee Pot @ Church Hall Lounge
Coffee Pot @ Church Hall Lounge
Jul 30 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
 
Aug
1
Thu
2019
11:00 am Communion (BCP) @ Church
Communion (BCP) @ Church
Aug 1 @ 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
 
1:00 pm Wedding @ Church
Wedding @ Church
Aug 1 @ 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm